Sunday, September 2, 2007

Senator Craig - part II

Pat Buchanan

If I haven't mentioned it before, I always make sure to read Pat Buchanan's articles with an almost religious devotion - not because I agree with him that often, but because I think he has a first class analytical mind. My disagreements with his opinions are usually what should be done rather than his analysis of what is going on, which is usually, in my opinion, very accurate.

Here he has written an article that pretty much echoes what I wrote a few days ago about Senator Craig. Pointing out that the Senator has some apparent personal issues, that the leftist media is drooling all over themselves reveling in his so-called "hypocrisy", and that he is being thrown under the bus by the GOP and especially Mitt Romney.

The set answer for the GOP regarding homosexuality should be "love the sinner, hate the sin." At least that is what I thought they should be saying since I have always thought that religious conservatives derive their opposition to homosexuality from the two passages in the Old and New Testament dealing with the issue. Why they miss this obvious point leads me to two conclusions:

1) They only mention God and Bible when it suits them for general banalities and platitudes for political speeches

2) They really do have some other opposition to homosexuality that somehow trumps the religious rational.

I can understand the second point because I used to suffer from it to some degree. I was never an outright homophobe, but I'm sure I've felt the same way from time to time at being revolted at the general concept.

The first point one, of course, is just confirmation in my mind that the biggest bible-thumping politicians are usually the least familiar with the text and the least inclined to use their religious faith for guidance.

The separation of Church and State means that the State should not propound a specific religion or practices specific to that religion on the rest of us through the mechanism of the State. It doesn't mean that the individual political leader is not permitted to use their particular faith to guide their decisions. I have always suspected though that the politicians who claim piety and faith in God don't really have much of either.

So when I see someone claiming to be a man of faith like Mitt Romney throwing a fellow sinner under the bus, that convinces me that his faith is a matter of convenience and showmanship. He would show a lot more character by telling us that he had taken the time to speak with his friend and fellow Christian Senator Craig and that they have mutually decided that Senator Craig should step down from his campaign. Instead, he called the Senator's behavior "disgusting" and dropped him like a bad habit.

I would gladly have the entire Congress be homosexual and have them drop the crooks who pocket our money like Senator Stevens and Congressman Cunningham. Their behavior is the truly disgusting behavior, but no one seems to care.

No comments: