Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Abortion

I've been wrestling with the whole abortion question in my mind for decades now. Here is my current temporary final conclusions, all of which would make everyone unhappy if they cared and I were someone important.

  • Life begins at conception.
  • Abortion is murder: the unjustified taking of an innocent life.
  • Abortion is immoral.
  • Abortion is not health care and should never be paid for by the government or health insurance.
  • Roe v. Wade should be overturned as an unconstitutional overreaching of the Supreme Court into the rights of states to regulate morality as expressed in the 10th Amendment.
  • Abortion should be safe and legal during the first trimester.

Confused? Here is the rational. I am utterly convinced that abortion is an absolute horror. I would never ask (and have never asked) a woman to have one. I knew that if I ever got a woman pregnant by accident, then that was who I was going to marry (assuming she chose to have the child). I have never really slept around, so I have been afforded that luxury of only having sex with women I cared for. So, the pro-choice stance has pretty much always been my rule for me.

The opinion of Roe v. Wade is strictly an objective determination and would remain the same whether I took to one side of this issue or another. When you have to rely on the Code of Hammurabi instead of the plain language of the Bill of Rights, you are full of shit.

So why the last point? I figure that one of the reasons we are on this Earth is to perpetuate our genes by producing children to send out in the world and mix with its gene pool. Right or wrong, most humans have the urge to reproduce and raise children. And although sex may be God's devious method of tricking us into having children, there is a void for many people if they do not produce and raise their own children as some pint in their life. So, if someone wants to avoid filling this need and at the same time eliminate their own genetic heritage from the gene pool, who am I to stop them?

Why only the first trimester? Because if you can't make up your mind in the first three months, then you are probably going to regret having an abortion later on in life. In addition, the pain and suffering that the fetus will have to endure does not justify your own procrastination in making a decision. You should know the answer before you even engage in the act of getting yourself pregnant. It's called responsibility.

No comments: